2020 has been a tough year for lots of small businesses, so this year I wanted to be sure to share some of my favorites with you in the form of a gift guide! It’s easy to always just head to Target or order on Amazon when you need something, but it’s true that a small business owner really does do a happy dance with every sale they make, so this year be sure to keep that in mind while you’re doing your holiday shopping!
1. The Surcee Shoppe– The Surcee Shoppe has the sweetest assortment of gifts, and they all come gift-wrapped so they’re always ready for gifting. This Blue Hydrangea Notepad would make a great stocking stuffer or hostess gift, and these Sadie Earrings are simple and sweet and only $20!
2. LAKE Pajamas– While not “small” compared to most of these other businesses, LAKE is a special store that I have come to love (and the shop in Charleston is absolutely stunning!). I have two pairs of the tank-shorts sets of pajamas but would love this long-short weekend set or this long-long set (I ended up buying a couple pairs during their current Black Friday sale). They are a splurge but they are made of the softest cotton and are absolutely beautiful, and the sale makes a big difference. They run tts, or size up for a more relaxed fit. I chose a size up (M) for the new pairs I just purchased.
3. Sea Marie Designs– This is my favorite source for cute hair accessories and my corduroy top knot headband has been my go-to all fall! She also sells cute accessories like these block print makeup bags that come as a set of 2 for $32.
4. R. Riveter– R.Riveter (as in Rosie the Riveter) is a military spouse owned small business that employs military spouses around the country who each sew parts of these beautiful bags before they’re fully assembled in North Carolina. This is a fantastic way to support numerous military spouses who often have a hard time holding a job longterm since they move around so frequently with their service member spouses. You can even get custom pieces made if you have special items (like old uniforms) you’d like to have turned into a bag. I was gifted the Otto Handbag in Navy Canvas and Brown Leather and it’s a true work of art. Use code STRIPES for 10% off!
5. Undone Art Co.– Have an art loving person in your life? The adult paint by numbers canvases from Undone Art Co. are so neat! I particularly love the Holston art kit! Use code KATIE10 for $10 off any paint by number kit!
6. Madison-Mathews– I’ve loved this Charleston-based clothing line for close to 5 years now and they’re still one of my favorite dress companies to date. The Juliette dress is my current favorite silhouette and it’s nursing friendly! You can use code KATIE to save 10% on the Juliette dress (regular and in flannel), the Dolly dress, and the Folly mini dress in pink silk.
7. The Tiny Tassel– Charleston-based The Tiny Tassel sells the most cheerful jewelry, handmade garments and accessories! I have two pairs of the tassel earrings and they’re so much fun to wear. (Not that baby Tate lets me wear big earrings often these days lol.) This pair with chinoiserie disks is preppy and playful, and how beautiful is this tassel necklace?!
8. The Striped Sheep– Matching striped shirts for momma and kiddos that are sooooo cute. I bought the pablo in marshmallow/rainbow this spring and during their current 40% off black Friday sale I bought the navy/rainbow for myself and the kids!
9. Abundant Affirmations– Abundant Affirmations is a military spouse owned business and she sells affirmation card sets that are really great if you need a little encouragement. I’m partial to the motherhood set (great for all the mommas in your life, especially these days), but she also has sets on grief, money mindset, self worth, body positivity, and sets for kids too.
10. Mohala Eyewear– My favorite sunglass company (female owned and Hawaii-based too!) is Mohala Eyewear, and this fall I’ve been alternating between two pairs, the Lana in Amber Tortoise and Pikake in Havana Tortoise. They’re both a little darker in color and perfect for the moodier colors we wear in the fall and winter. Use code katiev for 10% off!
11. The Ever Co.– Former Army helicopter pilot turned military spouse and small business owner, Amy Hawthorne runs the sweetest website and Instagram feed centered around making memories as a family. She sells American-made bags and shirts that always put a smile on your face when you see them.
12. Daisy Faye Designs– Daisy Faye Designs is another military spouse owned business and Kim hand makes colorful zipper pouches of various sizes (perfect for diaper pouches), scrunchies (love this velvet one), and handy key fobs too.
14. The Monogram Corner– The Monogram Corner has the dreamiest assortment of personalized pieces! I love the monogrammed faux fur pom hat (I have it in navy with the natural pom), I’m eyeing this holiday plaid blanket (I’d get a single V monogrammed on it so my whole family could use it), and I think these hand-painted chinoiserie ornaments are simply stunning! She even sells things like personalized wood cutting boards and build-your-own handknit sweaters for children.
15. Southern Elegance Candle Co.– This North Carolina-based candle company has an amazing reputation for making beautifully scented candles. I recently ordered a few candles to keep for myself and give as gifts and I can’t wait for them to get here. I’ve heard Sweet Potato and Brown Sugar smells amazing so I decided to buy that one, Fireside and Carolina Pine.
16. Southern Cross Design Co.– Custom wood signs inspired by places you love. These signs are so fun and a great way to remember a place that is special to you (or to whomever you are gifting one to). We have a small sign with the Hawaiian islands on it with a heart over Oahu, which is a special place for us because it’s where Tom and I met and two of our children were born there. You get to customize the color and the item(s) you want included on the sign. Really great personalized gift!
17. Courtney Lambert Jewelry– Delicate and feminine is what comes to mind when I think of Courtney’s jewelry, and I loved wearing her beautiful earrings in my last round of pregnancy photos back in Hawaii. I have the Heishi Pearl and Circle pair and a gold floral pair she no longer sells anymore.
18. Tony and Mei– This is another military spouse owned small business and Mindy designs island-inspired baby gear (we connected back when we were both living in Hawaii)! I’ve had one of her nursing covers (also serves as a carseat cover) since Caroline was a baby and have loved using it with both of my girls. She now sells personalized ones too! Her swaddle blankets are darling and incredibly soft too.
There are countless other small business out there worthy of support, so if you have a moment I’d love to hear your favorites in the comments!