striped sweatshirt | maternity denim shorts | neoprene water shoe espadrilles (pink on sale here and other colors here) | sunglasses (similar and around $10 | Apple Watch band ($5.99) | pearl earrings (c/o Julie Vos)
Dressing a bump can be tough sometimes, especially in the summer. As you body change throughout pregnancy it’s easy to feel a bit uncomfortable in your own skin and to think that nothing in your closet looks quite right. I’ve found that even though pregnancy is only 9 months it’s important to have a wardrobe that is comfortable that actually makes you happy (bonus points if the items are non-maternity and will be able to be worn after pregnancy too)! Today I’m sharing some of my favorites maternity pieces (many that are non-maternity and most are super affordable!) that have made me really happy and confident while dressing this ever-changing body of mine. Keep reading for my summer maternity must-haves!
Summer Maternity Wardrobe Staples
- H&M white maternity jeans. Love the look and fit of these. Got my normal H&M pant size 6 in these. I considered sizing up to an 8 but am glad I didn’t because they stretch out a bit. They also come in light pink! (See how I styled them here.)
- Banana Republic striped dress. I actually think this non-maternity dress will look a little better once my bump is a bit bigger (and equally as good on a non-pregnant person!). I’m still in that weird “did she just eat a really big meal?” phase so can’t wait to wear this with a true bump. The material isn’t sheer at all and it fits so nicely. I got my normal size small because I know it will stretch. (See how I styled it here.)
- lululemon cool racer back tanks. These athletic tanks have gotten my through 3 pregnancies and the in between time too. They somehow never stretch out! Most of mine are 7 or 8 years old and they’re still going strong. I wear my normal lululemon size 6.
- lululemon align shorts. I’ve been wearing these comfy shorts under dresses so that I can still chase after my kids and not accidentally give anyone a show lol. I opted for these shorts because they have a smooth high rise waistband that will easily grow with my belly throughout this pregnancy, and since they’re non-maternity they’ll work afterwards too. I sized up from a 6 to an 8 just so that they’d be a little more comfortable as my belly grows. I also wore the cropped version last pregnancy.
- LAKE Pajamas pj set. These were a splurge but I can now say that the hype surrounding LAKE Pajamas is totally understandable. These PJs will likely last me my whole pregnancy (and afterwards) because the top is longer than most normal pj tops. So soft and comfortable, also comes as a pants/tank combo. I got a size small but think a medium would be comfy too. Their summer sale is going on now through 7/28, so make sure to take advantage of that if you’re in the market for the cutest and softest pjs ever!
- Target denim shorts. The length of these denim shorts is so good and they manage to not look frumpy like many maternity shorts do. I got my normal size 4.
- H&M dresses. There are so many cute dresses at H&M right now, and I’ve added a number of them to my wardrobe because they’re flattering, they work with a bump and are easy to throw on (blue one styled here and white one on this blog post). They’re non-maternity but kind of unstructured so they’ll work with a for most of my pregnancy. I got a size 6 (wanted a 4 but 6 is just fine) in the blue one (comes in lots of patterns) and a 4 in the white one. 4 seems to be my new H&M size in dresses (I believe they did some re-sizing at the store a while back to make them more consistent with other brands…I used to always have to size up to a 6 or 8 in most things).
- Colorfulkoala (Amazon) yoga pants. These yoga pants are the ones I rave about all the time. They’re very similar to the lululemon align crops (which I also love) but they’re way cheaper and have leg pockets that are great for a phone at the gym. I wear these as normal pants with a longer shirt (as seen here) and also for running, yoga and lifting weights. I’m still wearing my normal size small and hope that they’ll last my entire pregnancy. The waistband is perfection and very comfy! (See the yoga pants and the cool racer back tank in action here.)
- J.Crew Factory ruched one-piece swimsuit. My navy strapless one-piece was a staple during my pregnancy with Caroline, so I added a hot pink one this time around (only 2 colors let now and in select sizes). I’m normally a small at J.Crew but size up to a medium to wear this while pregnant. (See it on me at 17 weeks above.)
- H&M ruched maternity shorts. I absolutely love these shorts. The ruched waistband is really comfy and the blue and white pattern is beautiful. (See how I wore them here.)
- Tuckernuck swing sweatshirt. This striped sweatshirt is one-size-fits-all so it’ll grow relatively well with a bump, at least until well into the third trimester. It’ll be a perfect fall transition piece too! The lower sleeves are a bit snug though so that’s the one part that I don’t really consider quite as versatile as the description. Comes in a couple cute colors though (love the rainbow stripes!) and I’m glad I finally added this to my closet because I’d been eyeing it for over a year. (See how I styled it here.)