I’ve lived in Hawaii for over 5 years so it probably comes as no surprise to hear that swimsuits are a staple in my closet year round. Years ago I learned that it’s important to invest in quality, well-fitting suits that stand the test of time, so I almost always default to J.Crew or J.Crew Factory when selecting a suit. They last for years, fit incredibly well, they won’t go out of style any time soon, and there are always so many adorable options to choose from! I also have a few other sources for swimwear and I’ve included those in the roundup below too. I know a lot of people shop at Target for swimsuits (I love Target for other things!) but I just don’t think they hold up or fit as well as pieces that are slightly more expensive. I haven’t had luck at Target for years so these days I just breeze right past the section because I know they just don’t work that well on my body. (They seem to always be too tight or too loose in the wrong places.) I’ve realized that having a couple perfectly fitting and flattering suits is much more important than having a bunch of swimsuits that kind of fit ok. I’ve rounded up some of my very favorites (many of which I own) below, so if you’re in the market for a timeless and classic swimsuit, this post is for you! (And if you’re looking for some summer wardrobe classics, make sure you check out this post from a couple months ago!)
Oh and for sizing reference, I’m 5’5″ and hover between 125-128 pounds when I’m not pregnant.
If you like this kind of post and you need or are in the market for any of these items I’d be incredibly grateful if you shopped after clicking my links. These posts take hours to put together and your support through affiliate links (I receive a small commission if you shop and it doesn’t cost you any extra) help make these posts worthwhile. Even if you end up buying something different from the store after clicking a link I’ll still receive “credit,” so don’t feel like you’re stuck only shopping the exact things I’ve shared. Your support is appreciated and I hope you like these picks!
Pretty and Classic Swimsuits
1. This belted colorblock one-piece is so flattering and I while I’m not usually into colorblocking I think this is really fun. I’m wearing my normal size 4 but I think it runs a bit short in the torso and the straps aren’t adjustable. I believe I’d be perfectly happy with the 6 too. (From J.Crew)
2. I don’t have this one-shoulder swimsuit but it’s so timeless and classic. I have a similar striped one from J.Crew a few years ago and it’s a favorite of mine! Ruffles always add a fun touch to a swimsuit. (From J.Crew Factory)
3. I have this strapless ruched one-piece swimsuit in navy from a few years ago and in fuchsia from earlier this spring. The ruching on the sides is really flattering if you’re pregnant (size up one size if you are) and for postpartum bodies. It’s not a maternity but it really does work well until about the middle of the 3rd trimester and I wore it when I was pregnant with Caroline (see this old post here) and plan on wearing it again this time around. I normally wear a small but a medium is better for pregnancy. It comes in a number of colors too! (From J.Crew Factory)
5. This striped ruffled one-piece is a great affordable ($34.99) alternative to this more expensive one from J.Crew. I sized up to a 6 and think the cut is very flattering. Also comes in black and a paisley pattern. (From H&M)
6. If you’re looking for a good rash guard to wear over your swimsuit this is such a good one! The striped pattern is so classic and it fits really nicely. I sized down to an XS because I read that it runs a bit large (I’d agree). (From Lands’ End)
7. This one-shoulder swimsuit is similar to one I have from a few years ago. Reviews say it runs small and that it’s a tad cheeky though, so make sure to read reviews when choosing your size! (I’m almost always a 4 or small at J.Crew.)
8. & 9. This ruffled bikini top and high-waisted bottoms were on my Classic Summer Wardrobe blog post but I had to share it here too. The top is really comfortable and secure and looks so nice paired with any bottoms. (Available in more colors for a little more money here.) I have the navy one and pair it with an old pair of striped high rise bottoms (same cut as these or these if you’re looking for a cheaper option). I just love this style of suit so much! These bottoms are especially good for those of us who have had babies. I still wear normal bikini bottoms occasionally but sometimes I prefer to not have all my lower belly stretch marks on display and the higher rise is simply more comfortable. The top and bottoms come in a bunch of different colors and I wear a small in both. (From J.Crew Factory)
11. I saw this ruffled off the shoulder swimsuit a number of times last summer and loved it on every woman who wore it. And then I randomly found it at Nordstrom Rack for a steal! The quality is superb and the fit is fantastic so it’s definitely splurge worthy, in my opinion. I’m wearing a size 6 and it comes in 5 other colors. (From Trina Turk)
13. I don’t have this ultra-flattering swimsuit but almost buy it every time I get the Boden catalog in the mail. It comes in a number of different colors and patterns and looks like it would look good on anyone!
14. I bought this one-piece while very pregnant with Caroline even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to wear it for a while. I just had to have that palm leaf print! The fit is so nice and really practical if you have kids. It stays in place and is extremely flattering and not revealing at all. I wear a size small. Also comes in 6 other colors. (From Albion Fit)
16. I bought this swimsuit in the cabana stripe pattern last summer and fell in love. This navy and white version looks like such a classic too! I have the bralette top and the bikini bottoms but think I’d like to try their high waist bottoms. I wear a size small in the top and bottoms. (From Lively)
17. I normally don’t mind splurging a bit for swimsuits because I believe quality is really important, but I randomly bought this $12.99 swimsuit a few months ago and love it! I sized up to a 6 and love the pattern and fit (though it’s a tiny bit cheeky). It doesn’t have padding or support so it’s definitely more for women with smaller chests. It comes in 3 other colors too. (From H&M)