There is something about getting older and having babies that makes you need to switch up your makeup routine every so often. I was pretty set in my ways for a while but after having Jack I felt like I needed a change. I incorporated some new products back then (over 2 years ago) but after having Caroline I felt like I needed another makeup update. I have more melasma on my face now that I wanted to cover and also just felt like I needed to refresh some things. I can’t really treat my melasma yet because I’m breastfeeding so I needed some good makeup that could really cover it up. I’m still using the Colleen Rothschild products I blogged about here and I think they have helped a lot, but it’ll be nice to try something stronger in 6 or so months. I’m planning on using Rodan + Fields Reverse Brightening Regimen once I wean Caroline because I’ve heard it works wonders. I’m currently on week 5 of using their Lash Boost and I can already tell it’s working so I’m excited to try their skincare products eventually. For those of you not familiar with Rodan + Fields, you have to have a consultant to buy it through and mine is Brianna Hughes, who is a fellow West Point grad and momma…if you use my links to purchase anything from her be sure to let her know I referred you!
Below are the items I’m really loving now and use some combination of these items almost every day. (Although let’s be honest, I’m a stay at home mom living in Hawaii so I rarely have on a full face of makeup.) And be sure to check out my Instagram Stories today because I’m planning on sharing my step by step makeup routine there (I’ll save it in my Highlights too). I’m certainly no makeup guru but think I have a pretty good routine going right now!
1. IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream: At this point I only have a trial size of this product (shade Medium) but I really like it because it cuts out a couple steps which is nice when I’m in a hurry. It has SPF 50 and provides great coverage without having to use a true foundation. I got a ton of messages about this when I mentioned it on Instagram and everyone raved about it.
2. Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Mattifying Foundation: I’ve been alternating between using this product and the product above. I wear shade number 55 and this provides great coverage and helps keep me from getting super oily like I normally do. My face is seriously an oil well so I need all the help I can get.
3. bareMinerals Matte Foundation: I started using this after I had Jack and it’s the first bareMinerals product I ever tried. I wear shade 12 Medium Beige. I was obsessed with this powder foundation (and still love it) but it doesn’t hide my melasma well anymore. It leaves a beautiful finish and is great, especially if you’re a little oily. I’ve started putting a little bit on after the CC+ cream or Mat Velvet foundation I listed above. Kind of using it as a light powder.
4. bareMinerals Soft Focus Brush: I use this brush to apply the bareMinerals foundation. I’ve never been one to spend much money on quality makeup brushes, but I now realize I’ve been missing out because this brush is amazing.
5. Boi-ing Brightening Concealer: This stuff really does a great job of covering under eye circles and the melasma over my top lip. I put it on after foundation or sometimes I just wear this and no foundation. I really, really like this stuff.
6. Beauty Blender Sponge: I actually use a knockoff version from Target (not sure which one) but it’s great for applying foundation and concealer. I moisten it a little bit and squeeze it out and then use it to dab and smooth the makeup out. It really helps give you a smooth finish.
8. Glossier Cloud Paint: I own this in the Haze, Puff and Beam shades. I’ve started using puff on the apples of my cheeks and beam as more of a highlighter and like the effect. I just put it on with my fingers and I’m good to go. A lot of the time I just wear concealer, cloud paint and mascara.
9. Smashbox Cover Shot Softlight Eye Palette: This palette is perfectly sized and has the prettiest assortment of colors. I bought this eyeshadow and the matte version over a year ago and still really love them both. This one is really natural and perfect for both day and night and the matte version has the perfect matte pink color which is what initially drew me to this brand.
10. Rimmel Kohl Eyeliner: This is one of the items I’ve kept from my super old routine. It goes on really smoothly and is a great price. I normally just line my top eyelid but for a more dramatic look I line the lower inside rim and a little bit of the lower outside rim. I wear the Brown shade and it’s the perfect color of brown. (I have brown eyes and it works really well with them.)
12. Eyelash Curler: I ALWAYS curl my eyelashes when I wear mascara. It takes about 30 extra seconds (before mascara) but makes all the difference. I’ve used this one for years and it works well and is under $5.
13. Benefit ka-Brow! Eyebrow Color: This stuff is SO good. It’s a new addition to my routine and I love how it easily fills in my brows without a whole lot of product. I wear shade 3. My eyebrows are kind of sparse so this does a nice job of covering up the gaps.
14. Glossier Boy Brow: I’ve been using this for over a year and really like how it tames and slightly darkens my brows. I now sometimes use it lightly over ka-Brow. I currently have the Blond color but probably should have gone with Brown.
15. bareMinerals Gen Nude Over Under Lip Liner: When I line my lips I use this (in the Borderline shade) and fill them all the way in before putting color on. This is a great color that works with lots of different lipsticks.
16. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment: This is the only stuff I wear on my lips a lot of the time and it’s amazing. Super smooth, nice subtle color, smells great and not sticky! I have 3 colors: Rosé, Petal and Bloom. I think Petal is my favorite.
17. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil: For bold color these are my favorites. Never Say Never has been my favorite for years, and whenever you see me wearing a bright pink that isn’t too over the top it’s this one. I recently bought it in Sex Machine, which is a nice pink mauve color.