It’s time for another furniture makeover! I found this vintage Omega faux bamboo dresser back in Maryland in early 2016, and I wrote a little blog post about it that you can read here. For $40 it was a steal, despite desperately needing a paint job and the fact that it was missing some hardware. I finally got around to painting it in December and photographed it this past week. I don’t know why these makeover posts take me forever to put together, but that seems to be the trend.
As a reminder, this is what the dresser looked like when I found it. It was a bit more dingy looking in real life.
First things first, is always sanding. I used my orbital sander with a course grit disc to remove the slick top coat. I sanded all the faux bamboo detailing by hand with a course sanding block as well. Sanding blocks are the way to go when you sand by hand because they’re easier to hang onto and control than sandpaper sheets are. I didn’t sand the bumpy drawer fronts because I knew they wouldn’t sand well.
After I removed the top coat and roughed everything up I used a fine grit disc to smooth everything out. I used a fine sanding block on the faux bamboo portion. Getting the details and edges nice and smooth is really important because once they are painted irregularities can show up like crazy.
Once everything was smooth I wiped it down with wet paper towels and then a microfiber cloth. Microfiber doesn’t leave residue like a normal towel does, so they are great for these furniture projects. I also scrubbed the drawer fronts with a course plastic bristled brush and some water to get any dust and gunk out of the little crevices. I wiped them down with a microfiber cloth after I finished scrubbing. Make sure to let any moisture dry before you start painting.
Next, I shined the hardware that came with the dresser with Bar Keeper’s Friend.
I was missing 4 pieces so I used some glass and brass drawer pulls that I bought for another project. I found these at Hobby Lobby.
I now have these on the top two drawers, and while I like them, I prefer the ring pulls on this dresser. I’ve searched eBay for 4 exact replacement pulls but haven’t found them. Nicole (@_grits on Instagram) told me about these ring pulls from Lee Valley so one day I may just replace all 10 of the pulls. Until then, I’m pretty content with how it looks now. The mismatched hardware makes it look a little more whimsical, don’t you think?
When I put the drawers back into the body of the dresser I made sure to use some WD-40 on the slides. That helped with any sticking or squeaking that comes with an old dresser. I also lined the drawers to make the inside of the drawers a little more fresh. Oh and when you take drawers out of a dresser make sure you label the back (A,B,C, etc.) so that you put them back in the right spots. Little things like that make a big difference in how the drawers function, especially when you’re working with an old piece of furniture.
I use this dresser every single day and I absolutely love it. I love that it was cheap, that it’s unique, and that it now has a story (and some of my elbow grease) behind it. Hopefully it survives our move this summer!
rug | heels (I wore these with my wedding dress!) | basket (Target, old) | sheepskin | lamp (Target, old) | jars and bust (vintage)